We help you boost your
customer insight abilities
so you can
When almost everyone is trying to deliver the best customer experiences, it can be tough to make your brand stand out.
- How do you turn hesitant prospects into enthusiastic brand advocates?
- Which moments in a customer experience matter most?
- How do you know where to focus your limited resources?
- How do you get your whole team on the same customer experience page?
Introducing Value Story Maps
Value Story Maps are a simple but powerful framework for understanding how your customers make those pivotal decisions that matter most to the success of your business.
How do value story maps work?
Value story mapping is a simple 3-step process that will boost your customer insight abilities and reveal new opportunities to attract more of the best kind of customers.
Frame the Customer Journey as a Value Story
The most common roadblock to gaining more of the best kind of customers is trying to appeal to everyone in every phase of their journey all at once.
Value story mapping offers a better way to get and stay focused. The first step is to frame your target customer’s journey as a value story and choose one of the four phases to focus on.
Which pivotal decision and associated journey phase you choose depends on your goals. For instance, you might want to choose a phase that you know most desperately needs improvement for your target customer type.
Build a Sensemaking Hypothesis
It's tempting to chase after all of the little friction points you could address for your customer. Unfortunately, that list is endless while your time and resources are not.
Instead, you’ll focus only on the pivotal decision that the target customer faces in your focus phase. Then you identify the customer's functional, rational, social, and emotional drivers. Finally, you wrap it all in a sensemaking hypothesis that reveals the "why" behind that positive decision you're hoping for.
Evaluate Touchpoints Using Story Roles
With the clarity and focus of a customer-centric value story and sensemaking hypothesis, you’re ready to turn around and look at how your touchpoints contribute to the target customer's pivotal decision.
The value story approach goes beyond simply mapping functional pains and gains or the emotional ups and downs of a customer journey. Instead, by focusing on the roles you play in your customer’s story, you can and finally get your whole team aligned around the customer moments that really matter.
What kind of results can I expect?
Here are just some of the results you can expect by applying value story mapping to your next customer experience initiative:
- Permanently boost you customer IQ by maintaining a clear focus on your customers’ stories, no matter how busy and demanding your own story is.
- Quit chasing every little friction point and feeling overwhelmed by the complexity of modern customer interactions. Instead, feel confident that you know where to focus your limited time and resources.
- Be inspired by a fresh perspective on the “why” behind customer decisions that will open up new opportunities to attract more customers and build stronger relationships.
- Make internal cross-functional coordination easier and more effective by sharing a common model of the customer transformation that clearly shows the cumulative effect of everyone’s contributions
To learn more check out our free introductory mini-course.
Sit back. Watch the videos.
Gain a fresh perspective.